You never know lightning could strike

Post Single Page

Albert Kuip Coffee chair by APE for Zuvier

PRO

In Design Posted

Albert Kuip Coffee chair by APE for Zuvier

Dezeen Showroom: Dutch furniture brand Zuvier has released a new version of its Albert Kuip chair by APE, with a brown textured seat made from used coffee grounds.

The Albert Kuip Coffee chair‘s moulded shell seat contains 42.5 per cent coffee waste, while the other 57.5 per cent is polypropylene.

Albert Kuip Coffee chair by APE for Zuvier
Albert Kuip Coffee chair has a seat made from used coffee grounds

“Coffee turns out to be a great and sustainable component for firm seats,” said Zuvier.

The brand calls it its “most sustainable chair so far” because it also uses imperfect wood rejected from the production process for its legs.

Albert Kuip Coffee chair by APE for Zuvier
Black-painted legs hide imperfections that would otherwise lead to the wood being rejected

All Albert Kuip series chairs have natural oak wood legs, but whereas those with discolouration or knots cannot be used in the standard editions, in the coffee chair, they are rescued and simply painted black.

The waste grounds come from one of the large coffee companies and are part of an estimated 2.5 billion cups of coffee consumed daily worldwide.

Product: Albert Kuip Coffee chair
Designer: APE
Brand: Zuvier
Contact: [email protected]

About Dezeen Showroom: Dezeen Showroom offers an affordable space for brands to launch new products and showcase their designers and projects to Dezeen’s huge global audience. For more details email [email protected].

Dezeen Showroom is an example of partnership content on Dezeen. Find out more about partnership content here.

The post Albert Kuip Coffee chair by APE for Zuvier appeared first on Dezeen.